The Great Cappadocian Ride
More than a trail, on a unique itinerary, it's the best way to discover the wild Cappadocia ; combining a spectacular trail ride, an orienteering game and an endurance race.
It will take place annually at the best season of the year and will showcase the most beautiful landscapes of our region.
It will be an incredible adventure for the riders, and their horses.
It will be a challenge, involving horsemanship, orienteering, and team spirit: the winner won’t be the fastest but the cleverest team.
You will ride in a small group of 6 riders, through a wild and spectacular landscape.
Nights will be spent in comfortable camps, around the fire in a traditional, warm atmosphere, surrounded by horses.
It will end with an endurance race of 40 km.
More infos: http://thegreatcappadocianride.com
Each team puts together a maximum of 5 riders and a guide. The team itself is in charge of the strategy and itinerary, the guide is there to help and show the way through the difficult passages.This race is thus designed for strong intermediate and experienced outdoor riders, looking for a fun andfast ride in Cappadocia on a more challenging itinerary than a standard trail. Here no horses nose to tail ! You will be independent riders riding together. Note : A group of 4 riders plus one guide can make their own team, but will have a disavantage on the training course to bring points.
WHAT IS THE AIM OF THE GREAT RIDE?This orienteering and endurance equestrian game in teams of 6 riders, for 7 days and 8 nights; where the quest of speed and performance is not the vital goal, will draw from the horse riding qualities of the riders, their spirit of solidarity as well as their ability of orienteering in the labyrinthe of the rocks of Cappadocia. The Great Cappadocia Ride is to be able to follow the smartest itinerary (using google earth), to find all the highlighted points along your chosen way, to respect riding times and speed, to win the challenges, and to prepare your horse for the final trial: the Endurance Race.
Horse riding level
- Riding level: confident intermediate to advanced riders
To take part of all our trails, you must have a competent riding level to be able to stay in control during group canters on forward-going horses, ride or lead your horse on technical passages, get on or off your horse several times a day alone and groom, tack and untack your horse without assistance
- Good physical condition is essential Rhythms of the trail :
- 6 and an half riding days
- 5 to 6 hours on horseback each day (including 5 days of orienteering, a training course, an 40 km endurance race)
- 28 to 35 kilometres each day; stopping at a different location every evening
- Pace: mostly walk, with opportunities for trots and canters each day Maximum weight :
Riders' weight on the progressive trail is limited at 85 kg (on riding clothes). Riders upper 85 kg, could book with extra charge, for the loan of a second horse. This option is only on demand, it will depend of the horse riding level of the rider and the availability of our horse.
Riders's contribution :
Riders are in charge of their horses ; they will be asked to tack and untack their horse, to water and feed their horse and to take care of their horse equipment.
Dates & Conditions
Dates 2022 :
June 04 - 12 : 2100 €
Price : 2100 € Extra cost for 8 nights in a single room and a single tent : 245 €
June 05 till June 09 : - 5 days of trail - orienteering
June 10 : - Half day at leisure at the camp and/or visit of Cappadocian villages - A training course (PTV with obstacle course: mud, door, U turn, slalom) - Preparation for the final endurance race : Veterinary examination, horse inspections, presentation of the endurance rules and road
June 11 : Endurance race : 40 km
CONDITIONS The basic price includes : - 8 nights accommodation full board, 6 and half riding days. - The loan of a horse and riding equipment for the trail, for the obstacle course and the endurance race. - English and/or french speaking guide. - Local transfers camp; regular transfers from/to Kayseri airport and Nevsehir airport (all day long; shuttle bus available for each flight coming from Istanbul)
Food & accommodation
The progressive trail in camp is for those who enjoy outdoor living, and sleeping in a tent or under the stars.
You will reach a different location on horseback at the end of each day, with the camp set up in the middle of nature, surrounded by beautiful views.
6 nights in camp :
These nights will be spent in comfortable and beautiful camps in scenic area : - Camp are based on twin large tent, with comfortable mattress. - The camp includes a large communal tent like those used by the last nomadic families in the country, chairs and tables for meals.
- Dinners are taken in the communal tent or outside by the fire.
- The camp also includes toilets, a shower tent with a bucket and a gas stove for heating the water.
- Tents will be put on by our team (double tipi-tents with single camp mattresses)
- We will ask your help to participate at the camp’s life : Take and replace your luggages and equipment in the trailer, feeding and brushing your horse, tacking and untacking your horse.
3 nights in hotels or guesthouses :
Your arrival and departure nights, will be spent in comfortable guesthouses or hotels, in double or triple rooms with en suite bathrooms.
- Hotels offer internet access and a laundry service.
- Single room supplement (depending on availability) - Night 1 : Sultan Pension (Bird's paradise: Sultan Sazligi Park) - Night 8 : (in Urgup)
- Standard accommodation: Surban Hotel
- Luxury accommodation: Selcuklu Evi
Luxury room extra charge (one night) : 60 € per pax (double room) / 95€ (single room)
Full board includes a continental breakfast, and a delicious lunch featuring a local speciality each day. At the camp, dinner is a traditional dish cooked on the wood fire, along with salad and fruits.
- Vegetarian options are available upon request.
- Tea, coffee and mineral water are included; wine, beer and soft drinks are available as an option.